Technical Support for Staff and Students
Working with the Information Management & Technology Services of University of Wollongong, the Technical Support Centre (TSC) is an administrative unit responsible for providing Information Technology services and support to all staff and students of UOW College Hong Kong. Our mission is:
- to create and maintain an IT environment for the pursuit of academic excellence and quality management;
- to ensure effective use of computing resources;
- to provide quality professional services to students, staff and administration;
- to promote and assist the use of new computing technology for facilitating College IT development; and
- to assist administrative units in process reviews, and proposing and developing IT solutions where appropriate.
IT Manager, Lam Chi Yung Tony, 3442-9455
Assistant Computer Officer: Fung Ho Man, 3442-7325
IT Officer, Lee Wing Kit, 3442-9802
Executive Assistant: Yu Ching Hei, 3442-7527
Support from Australia
Portfolio Manager (Global Enterprises), Information Management & Technology Services (IMTS): Luke M. Schiralli
Senior Project Manager, Project Management Office: Jodie Crawford
Director Project Management Office, UOW Global Enterprises: Louise Silvestri
The College adopts the following relevant policies on IT services shared with the University of Wollongong.
- Cyber Security Policy
- IT Acceptable Use Policy
- IT Server Security Policy
- Records Management Policy
- Telephone and Mobile Use Policy
The College has equipped the following facilities in Kowloon Tong campus (for shared use with CityU’s students), Telford Annex in Kowloon Bay.
- Integrated network across Telford Annex and United Centre campuses with two 1Gbps broadband links for Internet access;
- Major cloud based software for student’s service and a server room with off-site data backup and recovery for administrative service;
- Over 150 IP phones in Festival Walk, Telford Annex and United Centre;
- 10 computer laboratories with over 450 computers, two of them are Mac laboratories.
- Two self-access computer rooms with 60 computers in Telford Annex;
- Teaching facilities include LCD projector, notebook, visualizer, AV equipment in all lecture theatres and classrooms; and
- 6 network printers for students.
Computing Facilities at Kowloon Tong
The College rents two computer laboratories of 59 sets and one of them is a Mac laboratory. The hardware setup are Intel Core i5-6600 (4 Cores/6MB/8GT/3.3GHz to 3.9GHz/65W); Windows 10/Linux and 64GB RAM.
Computing Facilities at Telford Campus
At Telford campus, there are 357 computers. About 330 sets are equipped with Microsoft Office and 26 sets are Apple 27”iMac (MRQY2ZD) including Applecare+. The hardware setup for the PCs are:
- Intel® Core™ i5-9500 (6 Cores/9MB/6T/3.0GHz to 4.4GHz/65W) 8GB RAM
- Intel' CoreTM i5-9500 (6 CoresþMB/6TB.OGHz to 4.4GHzF5W) 8G RAM.
- Intel(R) Core™ i5-9500 CPU @ 3.00GHz 8G RAM
- Intel(R) Core™ i5-9500 CPU @ 3.00GHz 16 G RAM
- Intel i3-6100 with 8G RAM
- Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHz 4GB RAM
All classrooms are mainly equipped with DELL OPTIPLEX 990, Windows 10, 64bit OS, Intel(R) Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.39Ghz, 4GB RAM with the following common software together with virus scan software to ensure a robust learning platform.
- Windows 10
- Microsoft Office 2016
- VirusScan Enterprise 8.5
The Projector models range from EPSON EMP-821, EPSON EMP-822, EPSON EMP-810 to SANYO PLC-XT25
Software in Computer Laboratories
The following shows the software list in the computer laboratories.
- Adobe Creative Cloud (including Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom , Lightroom Classic, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver) for Mac
- Adobe Creative Cloud (including Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Lightroom , Lightroom Classic, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver) for PC
- Adobe Creative Cloud for enterprise All Apps and Autodesk Maya for Mac
- Eclipse IDE for Java Developers - Mars packages
- Excel + Add-in: Solver
- Flight Sim
- Infinity Digital Language software
- Microsoft Access 2019
- MS Office 2019
- SPSS v27
- VirtualBox Extension Pack
The College provides the following services
- On-campus Wi-Fi services
- Office 365 email services
- E-Learning Management System, Moodle
- Time Tabling system, Syllabus Plus
- Admission System, College Program Management System
- Staff Intranet
- Student Record Management System, UOW SOS and Ellucian Banner
- Financial Management System, NetSuite
- Human Resource Management System, Chris21
E-Learning Management System, Moodle
The College shares the use of E-Learning management system portal, namely, Moodle, developed and maintained by the University of Wollongong with the following features.
- Course materials upload/download;
- Create a link to a URL to support teacher for linking course related material elsewhere for student access;
- Enable tracking: It allows both staff and students to monitor progress through learning materials and course completion. Reports can be generated on individuals on completion of activities and resources. Completion tracking can further be used in conjunction with restricted access settings for security reason. Access to activities can be set to be dependent upon viewing or completion of a previous activity;
- Enable teachers to communicate with students, collect work, provide grades and feedback;
- Enable Web conference between students and teachers. It also allows real-time collaboration, recording tools, breakout rooms, password protected sessions, participation and progress tracking tools;
- Forums whereby students and teachers can exchange ideas by posting comments. The product supports forum where posts can be graded by the teacher or peers;
- Group selection which allows users to auto-enrol in groups. It also supports online group work for assessment;
- Assessment such as Quiz function. It enables teachers to create quizzes comprising various types of questions, including multiple choice, matching, short-answer and numerical; and
- Book module is used to create multi-page resources with a book-like format. It can be accessed allowing multiple resources to be laid out in a linear format featuring chapters and sub-chapters.
The figure below shows the cover page of Moodle being used by UOW after login with site summary and support services.
Timetabling Software, Syllabus Plus
The College uses the timetabling software called Syllabus Plus developed by Scientia. It is for resource scheduling, class scheduling, exam scheduling and space management. The product has been used by UOW for class and examination schedules for over 10 years. It offers the highest level of flexibility, including fully automated scheduling, manual scheduling and a combination of the two. The system integrated with the College’s Student Records Management system to optimize efficiency by reducing the time spent manually inputting information. The system further:
- improves student engagement by creating personalised timetables for students and staff;
- gains visibility of information by viewing timetables at Faculty level and the College master timetable;
- prevents clashes by creating a clash-free coherent timetable using the resources available; and
- supports dynamic scheduling for minor adjustments and generating alternative solutions.
Examination planning at the College is a time intensive process involving many stakeholders. Syllabus Plus provides graphical scheduling tool to accommodate diverse interests and allows users to develop a timetable that meets College needs. Some of the major features are:
- Large numbers of exams can be scheduled at the same time;
- An improved student experience by spreading examinations for the whole examination period.
- Enable multiple users to collaborate on data entry, validation, scheduling revisions and post scheduling tasks including the assignment of invigilators.
College Program Management System
The system is an in-house developed system with different user security levels for admission. It provides general features of data entry, modification, retrieval and statistical summary. It further provides templates defined by users for the generation of interview forms, and offer and reject letters. The system has developed a feature to import applicants’ data from Education Bureau’s (EDB) Electronic Advance Application System for Post-secondary Programmes (EAPP) in a batch mode since 2012 for data manipulation. The system supports applicant records for Top-up Degree, Associate Degree and Diploma Programmes. Education Bureau (EDB) has developed an online application system platform, Electronic Advance Application System for Post-secondary Programmes (EAPP) for secondary school students since 2012. Below shows a snapshot of the features.
The main features of the Staff Intranet including account login, announcement, news, document repository, Links to other Web pages and FAQ. It is in-house developed to maintain information shared amongst members with security level. The contents under College web site are grouped based on the related functions such as Academic Related Matters, Staffing Related Matters, Boards & Committees, Sub-Committees, Faculties, Centres & Campus information, Quality Assurance Handbook, and College News & Videos.
Student Record Management System, UOW SOS and Ellucian Banner
Student Online Service (SOS)
There are two systems adopted by the College. For UOW’s top-up prorgammes, the College adopted the Student Online Service developed by UOW and is the most vital tool in the management of students’ enrolment at UOW. It is essential that students are advised to access SOLS at least once per week so that they do not miss out on important information. It is the portal where students must go to enrol and withdraw, check their results, receive important messages, view fees information, change personal details and a range of other services. SOLS provides the following eight menus.
- The Basics
- Current Session Menu
- Enrolment Menu
- Timetable Menu
- Fees Menu
- Personal Details & Consent Menu
- Graduation Menu
- SOLS Vote and Comments
- Academic Consideration
The Basics is just to familiarise students about the processes. When students open certain menu items, they will see this button at the top of the page. To avoid delays in processing the requests, they are advised to read instructions and important information about the process before they start.
For Diploma, Associate Degree and Degree programmes, the College adopted Ellucian Banner, student record management system. The system is equipped with a robust set of features like attendance tracking, academic performance management, fee management, staff and student portal, etc. These tools help in managing the College efficiently and accurately to save time and maintain accuracy.
Financial Management System, NetSuite
The College adopts NetSuite as the financial management system. It offers a cloud based solution and provides comprehensive finance and accounting functions to:
- Maintain vendor records, such as contact information and bank account details;
- Issue Purchase Order and send it to vendor by email automatically once the Purchase Order is approved;
- Process vendor payment via EFT transfer;
- Generate e-payment receipts for vendors;
- Generate student fee statements and send them to students directly from the NetSuite system;
- vManage student fees collection;
- Prepare Aging Reports regarding outstanding student payments;
- Prepare bank reconciliation reports;
- Prepare month-end and year-end financial statements; and
- Facilitate monitoring of the College’s expenditures.
Human Resource Management System, Chris21
The College adopted Comprehensive Human Resource Integrated Solution (Chris 21) developed by Frontier System as the Human Resources Management.
The system supports payroll, Mandatory Provident Fund and taxation reporting functions in compliance with the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department. As the University of Wollongong Global Enterprises also uses the system to process its payroll, user experience can be shared between the two academic organisations.
The system provides a user-friendly interface to assist the College to complete the tedious process efficiently. It provides the following comprehensive functions to:
- Maintain basic personnel records such as employment history, contact information, spouse information, salary information and bank account information etc.;
- Process payroll and calculate MPF contributions;
- Generate bank auto-pay electronic output file;
- Generate pay slips, employee salary tax reports and various payroll reports;
- Maintain leaves including annual leave, sick leave, duty visit and maternity leave etc.; and
- Provide the Annual Leave and Long Service Leave Provisions.
Accessing our IT Services
To access our IT services please access the below link: