This programme aims to:
- Develop students’ analytical and critical thinking skills in making financial and investment decisions for individuals and organizations.
- Assist students to acquire multi-faceted business knowledge, with a focus on mainstream knowledge and skills in finance, and their applications to solve business problems in a wide range of contexts.
- Nurture students’ potential turning them into competent, broad-based, all-rounded and socially responsible professionals ready for service locally and globally.
- Equip students with a solid foundation to pursue professional qualifications in financial analysis and planning and further study.
- Prepare students to address future challenges by acquiring intellectual and practical skills, gaining knowledge of diverse cultures, and taking humanities, social and technology factors into decision-making consideration.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
- Formulate sound investment and financing strategies for individuals and organizations by applying mainstream tools and theories.
- Apply a wide range of business knowledge and skills in making decisions to achieve the goals of local and global business.
- Examine the major socio-political, cultural, economic and ethical issues affecting business environment and the financial industry in the local, regional, national and international contexts.
- Apply information technology, quantitative, problem-solving, creative and critical thinking skills in solving business and financial issues.
- Use effective communication and interpersonal skills as team leaders and responsible professionals.
Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Finance is a four-year programme. Students are required to take a total of 40 courses. Some of the discipline specific courses are listed below.
Financial Accounting I
Legal Environment of Business and Financial Markets
Management Information Systems
Mathematics for Economics and Finance
Financial Systems and Institutions
Investment and Portfolio Management
Financial Technology and Innovation
One elective course:
- Business Intelligence in Finance
- Risk Management and Insurance
International Financial Management
The curriculum of Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Finance is designed to maximize recognition from professional bodies, which will facilitate graduates’ application for positions related to their qualifications and achieve bright career prospects. In addition, it also addresses new developments in the financial services industry and equips students with the knowledge and skills demanded by the employers in the relevant sectors in Hong Kong.
The programme is designed to train financial specialists with:
- General knowledge in business administration including Management, Marketing, Economics, Business Statistics, Operations Management, etc.,
- Comprehensive finance knowledge in investment, corporate finance, wealth management and international finance,
- Introductory knowledge for understanding the current trends in the industry such as Fintech and Business Intelligence, and
- Global thinking mind set by engaging in student exchange programme with University of Wollongong in Australia (optional and subject to approval).
Other than the major in finance, students may choose to do a minor in Accounting , Social Innovation, Aviation Studies, Chinese History and Culture, Chinese, Japanese on voluntary basis. They may choose to take elective courses in various disciplines instead of doing a minor.
Graduates of the programme will be able to find employment in the following positions:
- Compliance Officer/Associate
- Junior Market Risk Analyst
- Junior Credit Risk Analyst
- Transaction Banking Client Service Officer
- Loan Administration/Client Operation Officer
- Investment Consultant
- Fund Operations Administrator
- Product Management Analyst
- Trade Support Analyst