This programme aims to:
- Provide a broad coverage of the various areas of knowledge associated with aviation including the operational and management aspects of aviation with supportive technologies.
- Develop accountable professionals with the capacity to analyze and evaluate problems and issues encountered by the aviation industry, and to formulate effective solutions in an efficient manner.
- Nurture students to become prudent and versatile global citizens who appreciate and respect cultural diversity.
- Cultivate students’ personal integrity, ethical standards, individual values and attitudes, social responsibility, and critical and creative thinking skills to meet the challenges of the future.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Programme, students should be able to:
- Formulate solutions to complex issues and problems related to the aviation industry by drawing on various sources of information and proven methodologies.
- Evaluate aviation related information and formulate technical solutions to enhance the operational procedures and to address related challenges.
- Analyse the commercial and management aspects of the aviation industry to support operational needs.
- Perform technical and managerial tasks proficiently and responsibly in developing a professional career in the aviation industry.
- Communicate professionally in a range of routine and specialized settings in aviation operations and management.
- Analyse the major socio-political, cultural, economic and ethical issues affecting the aviation industry in local, national, regional and international contexts.
The Bachelor of Aviation (Honours) in Operations and Management is a four-year programme. Students are required to take 19 major courses. The major courses are listed below.
Year 1 – 2:
Introduction to Aviation
Introduction to Logistics
Introduction to Aircraft Operations & Aviation Systems
Airline Operations and In-Flight Services
Air Freight Operations
Year 3 – 4:
Security and Regulation
Airline Dispatch Operations
Human Factors in Aviation
Air Traffic Management
Smart Airport Management
Systems Modelling and Simulation
Airline Strategic Management
Business Continuity Management
Aviation Capstone Project
Industry Placement (Elective)
Mobile Technologies in Aviation (Elective)
- The first 4-year full aviation Bachelor’s Degree programme in Hong Kong locally accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ). Graduates from Associate Degree or Higher Diploma Programme in aviation and logistics related disciplines may apply for direct admission to year three studies of the programme.
- The College collaborates with the Hong Kong International Aviation Academy (HKIAA) of the Hong Kong Airport Authority in offering the programme. Some of the major courses will be taught by professional experts from the aviation related industries recommended by HKIAA and the teaching venue will be the Hong Kong International Airport.
- This programme covers both operations and management aspects of aviation. Students will study the aviation operations courses in the first two to three years, such as those on the principles of flying, airline operations, airport operations, air freight operations, air traffic control, aircraft load balancing, airline dispatch, aviation security, etc. In the last two years, students will study the aviation management courses on airport management, airline management, business continuity, aviation human factors, aviation project, etc.
- Students may choose to take the placement elective and work for various companies of the aviation industry to enhance their employability after graduation.
- Other than the major in aviation studies, students may choose to do a minor in Finance, Accounting, Social Innovation, Chinese History and Culture, Chinese, Japanese on voluntary basis. They may choose to take elective courses in various disciplines instead of doing a minor.
Graduates will be competent for a wide range of aviation related jobs across various sectors, including airlines, airport, air freight, business aviation, ground handling and ramp handling, aviation security management, aircraft leasing, aircraft maintenance services logistics, aviation equipment supply, etc. Graduates should be able to apply their aviation knowledge and generic skills acquired from the programme to enter entry-level positions such as Officers, Analysts or Supervisors in aviation related business units, or work in areas such as customer support, business development, operations and finance planning.
The UOW College Hong Kong considers placement as effective learning tools for students. Participating enterprises include:
- Hong Kong Airport Authority
- Cathay Pacific Airways
- Hong Kong Airlines
- Singapore Airport Terminal Services (HK)
- Jardine Aviation Services Group
- Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals Limited
- Cathay Pacific Services Limited
- Hong Kong Air Cargo Carrier Limited
- Hong Kong Business Aviation Centre
- Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Company Limited
- Aviation Security Company Limited
- Cathay Pacific Catering Services Limited
- Gate Gourmet Hong Kong Limited
- LSG Lufthansa Service Hong Kong Limited
- Hong Kong Logistics Association
- Power Hub Limited