Higher Diploma in Creative Media Production
Creative Media Production Programme
The Higher Diploma in Creative Media Production (HDCMP) programme aims to equip students with the creativity, aesthetic senses and technical skills to meet the demands of employers in the creative industry and media production; provide students with insight and understanding into the diversity of the roles in media production and help students recognize the importance of communication and collaboration at all levels.Apply Now
|Faculty||Science and Technology|
|Programme||Higher Diploma in Creative Media Production|
|Credit units||63 CUs|
|Award type||Higher Diploma|
This programme is accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications.
Applications can be submitted by the following methods:
- E-APP (for HKDSE 2023 only)
- Online Application (for applicants with other qualifications)
- By Post / In Person (Application Form)
Click here for more information on admissions procedures.
1) Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)
- Obtain Level 2 or above in five HKDSE subjects including Chinese Language (Note 1) and English Language (Note 2);
- If a subject under “other languages” is used for meeting the requirement in (a), a minimum of grade E is required;
- A maximum of two Applied Learning subjects graded “Attained” or above can be included for meeting the requirement in the first point of this section;
- Satisfy programme-specific entrance requirements (Only applicable to Associate of Business in Administration in Accountancy)
2) Other Qualifications
Most school-leaving qualifications deemed equivalent to those stipulated below are recognised. These may include any ONE of the following:
- Completion of the UOWCHK Diploma in General Studies programme (Note 3) or a one-year full-time Pre-Associate Degree programme;
- Completion of Diploma Yi Jin (Note 4);
- Grade E or above in one General Certificate of Education A-level (or A2)/International A-Level subject. Two Advanced Subsidiary (AS) level subjects will be considered equivalent to one GCE A-Level. The same subject may not be counted at both the A Level and AS Level;
- A National University Education Entrance Examination (普通高等學校招生全國統一考試) score above the cut-off lines set for entry into non-government universities (本科二批分數綫)(Note 4) and a minimum English score of 100. Please refer to Chinese version for details;
- Other equivalent qualifications, including International Baccalaureate Diploma, are also accepted as satisfying the entrance requirements.
3) Mature Applicants
Mature applicants must be over the age of 23 by 1 September of the year of admission and be able to demonstrate aptitude and suitability for the programme applied for.
For applicants who have either learned Chinese Language for less than 6 years while receiving primary and secondary education or learned Chinese Language for 6 years or more in schools, but have been taught an adapted and simpler Chinese Language curriculum not normally applicable to the majority of students in local schools, alternative Chinese Language qualifications (GCEAL/AS Chinese grade E or GCSE/IGCSE Chinese grade C) or grade E in HKDSE “other languages” can replace Chinese Language level 2;
- GCE/GCSE/IGCSE subjects, TOEFL or IELTS cannot be used to replace English Language Level 2;
- Successful completion of the Diploma in General Studies will fulfil the entrance requirement to UOWCHK associate degree programmes (except Associate of Social Science in Social Work);
- For students who have successfully completed the Maths Plus elective course, the qualification acquired under the Programme is comparable to the attainment of Level 2 standard in five subjects including Chinese Language, English Language and Mathematics in the HKDSE Examination.
- The College may admit those applicants whose scores are below the cut-off lines but who can demonstrate good aptitude for the programme at admission interview.
$150, waived for 2023
All Full-time Higher Diploma students are required to take 63 credit units in two years at HK$1,800 per credit. Total tuition fee for two years is HK$113,400.
A Graduation Fee of HK$400 will be charged upon enrolment in a programme.
Students enrolled in self-financing Bachelor/ Associate Degree / Higher Diploma programmes are eligible to apply for financial assistance from the following sources:
Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-Secondary Students (FASP)
Provides means-tested financial assistance to needy full-time students pursuing locally-accredited, self-financing post-secondary education programmes at the level of associate degree, higher diploma or degree. The scheme aims to provide financial assistance to needy students so that no eligible students will be denied access to post-secondary education because of lack of means.
Enquiries: 2152 9000
Website: Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-Secondary Students
Non-means Tested Loan Scheme for Post-Secondary Students (NLSPS)
The NLSPS is used to complement the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) to provide loan(s) to eligible students to settle tuition fees of locally-accredited, self-financing full-time post-secondary education programmes at the level of associate degree, higher diploma or degree
Enquiries: 2150 6222
Website: Non-means Tested Loan Scheme for Post-Secondary Students
Programme structure and outcomes
- Learning outcomes & Main subject areas
- Programme study flow & structure
- Further Studies Pathways & Career prospects
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes (PILOs) are statements of learning achievement that are expressed in terms of what the learner is expected to know, understand and be able to do upon completion of a course. Students graduating from this programme will be able to:
|1.||Apply the knowledge of production processes and technical skills used in media and communication and utilize necessary skills to support creative production.|
|2.||Formulate plans in the development and delivery of media-based outcomes, reflecting the exercise of creativity, aesthetics and technical skills in the process.|
|3.||Propose creative solutions in media projects and communicate the ideas effectively to diverse audiences.|
|4.||Evaluate decisions made on creative and interactive media products in the light of environmental, social, economic and cultural dimensions.|
|5.||Contribute responsibly to media production projects as an effective team member.|
Main subject areas
- Creative Thinking
- Media Design
- Application and Mobile Programming
- Video Production and Computer Effects
- Computer Graphics and Animations
- Multimedia and Internet computing
Programme study flow
To qualify for this award, a candidate shall accrue an aggregate of at least 63 credit units by satisfactory completion of the following core courses.
|Course Code||Course Name|
|Programme Core (45CUs)|
|Sem A, Year 1|
|AST10701||Creative Thinking for Media Design|
|AST10702||Digital Media Design Fundamentals|
|Sem B, Year 1|
|AST10703||Introduction to Media Production|
|AST10962||Introduction to the Web|
|AST11103||Problem Solving with Programming Skills|
|Summer Sem, Year 1|
|Sem A, Year 2|
|AST20503||3D Modeling and Computer Animation|
|AST20701||Digital Effects and Audio Production|
|AST20708||Interactive Digital Storytelling|
|AST21962||Multimedia Authoring & Technologies|
|Sem B, Year 2|
|AST20963||Interactive Media Design|
|AST21104||User-Centered Design and Testing|
|AST22601||Marketing in the Digital Age|
|Programme Electives (3CUs)|
|Sem B, Year 2|
|Select any one:
|Language Skills (9CUs)|
|CGE1000* / 1500||English for Academic Studies A / B|
|CGE2003||English Professional Communication Skills for Technology|
|General Education (6CUs)|
|CGE14412||Practical Psychology for Everyday Life|
|CGE24411||Ethics and Society|
* Students whose DSE score of English Language is below 3 are required to complete this course
** Students who are non-Chinese literate can take a course among the core General Education courses in lieu of CGE1200 Practical Chinese at the recommendation of Programme Leaders and approval by the Chairman of Academic Board
Further Studies Pathways
This programme has been offered since 2021-2022. Possible articulation may include creative media, broadcasting, film, and design related degree programmes in City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Baptist University, The Education University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and The University of Hong Kong.
Graduates from this programme can find employment related to Cultural and Creative Industries. Graduates will qualify for a wide range of positions in the creative industry which include creative front-end developer, creative design assistant, creative graphic designer, creative strategist and social media specialist.
Faculty of Science and Technology
[Sung Wong Toi MTR Station Exit B3]