Associate of Arts in Digital Visual Design
Digital Visual Design
This is one of the most progressive academic programmes of design in Hong Kong, which is devoted to add knowledge and understanding of all the ways in which visual design contributes to the culture and society at large. We believe visual design should serve the greater good, and our students will learn and practise in a socially responsible, sustainable manner. We have both a rich tradition in the visual design and a commitment to innovation and expanding the boundaries of design education, wherAPPLY NOW
|Faculty||Science and Technology|
|Programme||Associate of Arts in Digital Visual Design|
|Credit Units||63 CUs|
|Award type||Associate Degree|
This programme is accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications.
Programme Leaflet of the AADVD programme in 2023-24
For enquiries, please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2707 3232 or Email: email@example.com).
Applications can be submitted by the following methods:
- E-APP (for HKDSE 2023 only)
- Online Application (for applicants with other qualifications)
- By Post / In Person (Application Form)
Click here for more information on admissions procedures.
For admission to Associate Degree (AD)/Higher Diploma (HD) programmes, applicants must satisfy ONE of the following:
1) Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)
- Obtain Level 2 or above in five HKDSE subjects including Chinese Language (Note 1) and English Language (Note 2);
- If a subject under “other languages” is used for meeting the requirement in (a), a minimum of grade E is required;
- A maximum of two Applied Learning subjects graded “Attained” or above can be included for meeting the requirement in the first point of this section;
- Satisfy programme-specific entrance requirements (Only applicable to Associate of Business in Administration in Accountancy)
2) Other Qualifications
Most school-leaving qualifications deemed equivalent to those stipulated below are recognised. These may include any ONE of the following:
- Completion of the UOWCHK Diploma in General Studies programme (Note 3) or a one-year full-time Pre-Associate Degree programme;
- Completion of Diploma Yi Jin (Note 4);
- Grade E or above in one General Certificate of Education A-level (or A2)/International A-Level subject. Two Advanced Subsidiary (AS) level subjects will be considered equivalent to one GCE A-Level. The same subject may not be counted at both the A Level and AS Level;
- A National University Education Entrance Examination (普通高等學校招生全國統一考試) score above the cut-off lines set for entry into non-government universities (本科二批分數綫)(Note 4) and a minimum English score of 100. Please refer to Chinese version for details;
- Other equivalent qualifications, including International Baccalaureate Diploma, are also accepted as satisfying the entrance requirements.
3) Mature Applicants
Mature applicants must be over the age of 23 by 1 September of the year of admission and be able to demonstrate aptitude and suitability for the programme applied for.
For applicants who have either learned Chinese Language for less than 6 years while receiving primary and secondary education or learned Chinese Language for 6 years or more in schools, but have been taught an adapted and simpler Chinese Language curriculum not normally applicable to the majority of students in local schools, alternative Chinese Language qualifications (GCEAL/AS Chinese grade E or GCSE/IGCSE Chinese grade C) or grade E in HKDSE “other languages” can replace Chinese Language level 2;
- GCE/GCSE/IGCSE subjects, TOEFL or IELTS cannot be used to replace English Language Level 2;
- Successful completion of the Diploma in General Studies will fulfil the entrance requirement to UOWCHK associate degree programmes (except Associate of Social Science in Social Work);
- For students who have successfully completed the Maths Plus elective course, the qualification acquired under the Programme is comparable to the attainment of Level 2 standard in five subjects including Chinese Language, English Language and Mathematics in the HKDSE Examination.
- The College may admit those applicants whose scores are below the cut-off lines but who can demonstrate good aptitude for the programme at admission interview.
$150, waived for 2023
All Full-time Associate Degree students are required to take 63 credit units in two years at HK$1800 per credit. Total tuition fee for two years is HK$113,400.
A Graduation Fee of HK$400 will be charged upon enrolment in a programme.
Students enrolled in self-financing Bachelor/ Associate Degree / Higher Diploma programmes are eligible to apply for financial assistance from the following sources:
Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-Secondary Students (FASP)
Provides means-tested financial assistance to needy full-time students pursuing locally-accredited, self-financing post-secondary education programmes at the level of associate degree, higher diploma or degree. The scheme aims to provide financial assistance to needy students so that no eligible students will be denied access to post-secondary education because of lack of means.
Enquiries: 2152 9000
Website: Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-Secondary Students
Non-means Tested Loan Scheme for Post-Secondary Students (NLSPS)
The NLSPS is used to complement the Financial Assistance Scheme for Post-secondary Students (FASP) to provide loan(s) to eligible students to settle tuition fees of locally-accredited, self-financing full-time post-secondary education programmes at the level of associate degree, higher diploma or degree
Enquiries: 2150 6222
Website: Non-means Tested Loan Scheme for Post-Secondary Students
Continuing Education Fund (CEF)
Some of the AD programmes or course(s) in the AD programmes are included in the list of reimbursable courses for CEF purposes.
The CEF subsidizes students over 18 years of age with learning aspirations to pursue continuing education and training courses.
Eligible applicants enrolling in courses on/after 1 April 2019 will be reimbursed 80% of the course fee on the first $10,000 and 60% on the second $10,000, subject to a maximum sum of HK$20,000 (whichever is the less), on successful completion of a reimbursable course.
Eligible applicants enrolling in courses on/after 1 August 2022 will be reimbursed 80% of the course fee for the first HK$10,000 subsidy and 60% of the course fee for the remaining HK$15,000 subsidy, subject to a maximum sum of HK$25,000 (an increase of the CEF subsidy ceiling from $20,000 to $25,000), on successful completion of a reimbursable course.
Students should pay attention to the eligibility criteria from the Continuing Education Fund before submitting the application.
Enquiries: 3142 2277
Website: Continuing Education Fund
Programme structure and outcomes
- Learning outcomes & Main subject areas
- Programme study flow & structure
- Further Studies Pathways & Career prospects
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes are statements of learning achievement that are expressed in terms of what the learner is expected to know, understand and be able to do upon completion of a course. Students graduating from this programme will be able to:
|1.||Demonstrate artistic skills and abilities in developing and proposing design ideas and creative solutions to problems;|
|2.||Produce and present aesthetically informed visual communication pieces by using appropriate skills and information technology tools and relevant media;|
|3.||Conduct visual communication research with a critical mind;|
|4.||Examine and be aware of major socio-economic, political and cultural issues, development in science and technology, and ethical controversies affecting design trend and design industries in the local, regional and global contexts.|
Main subject areas
- Expressive drawing
- Photograhic design
- Social media and advertising design
- Typgraphic design
- Animation design
- 3D modelling and animation
- Advanced motion graphics
Programme study flow
To qualify for this award, a candidate shall accrue an aggregate of at least 63 credit units by satisfactory completion of the following core courses.
|Course Code||Course Name|
|Programme Core (36CUs)|
|Sem A, Year 1|
|LAC11901||History of Art and Design|
|Sem B, Year 1|
|LAC11907||Photographic Design and Imaging|
|LAC24905||Social Media Design|
|Sem A, Year 2|
|Sem B, Year 2|
|LAC21901||Design, Culture and Technology|
|LAC21905||Integrated Design Protfolio|
|LAC24901||Global Image Building and Awareness|
|Programme Electives - Year 2 (6CUs)|
Select any two:
3D Modeling and Visualization or
Advertising Design or
3D Amination or
Advanced Motion Graphic
|Language Skills (9CUs)|
|CGE1000* / 1500||English for Academic Studies A / B|
|CGE2000||English Professional Communication Skills|
|General Education (12CUs)|
|CGE13213||Information Technology: Applications and Impacts|
|CGE22412||Understanding Culture and Hertiage in Contemporary Hong Kong|
|CGE23218||Climate Change: Threats Mitigation and Adaptation|
|CGE26514||Contemporary China: Challenges and Strategies|
Please visit the page for more details.
* Students whose DSE score of English Language is below 3 are required to complete this course
** Students who are non-Chinese literate can take a course among the core General Education courses in lieu of CGE1200 Practical Chinese at the recommendation of Programme Leaders and approval by the Chairman of Academic Board
Further Studies Pathways
The table below is not exhaustive and only aims to show some examples of the bachelor's degree programmes offered by UGC-funded institutions and University of Wollongong, Australia which have admitted our past graduates. Our graduates also articulate to various overseas degree programmes offered in Hong Kong.
UOW College Hong Kong
University of Wollongong, Australia
City University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Arts in Chinese and History
- Bachelor of Arts in Creative Media
- Bachelor of Arts in Digital Television and Broadcasting
- Bachelor of Arts in Media and Communication
- Bachelor of Arts and Science in New Media
- Bachelor of Science in Creative Media
Hong Kong Baptist University
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Visual Arts
- Bachelor of Communication (Honours) - Film Major - Animation and Media Arts Concentration
- Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) in Communication
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Visual Studies
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Arts in English
- Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts
The Education University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Creative Arts and Culture
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- BA (Hons) Scheme in Design (Advertising Design / Environmental Design / Information Design / Interaction Design / Interior Design / Media Design / Product Design / Service Design / Social Design)
The University of Hong Kong
- Bachelor of Arts
- Art director (in the field of design and advertising)
- Desktop publishing
- Web designers
- 3D modelers
- Assistant producers
Apply to UOWCHK
Start your journeyHow to apply Admission requirements
Faculty of Science and Technology
Phone / Whatsapp: (852) 2707 3232
Fax: (852) 2707 3231
Address: 1/F, Le Billionnaire, 46 Sa Po Road, Kowloon City, Hong Kong
[Sung Wong Toi MTR Station Exit B3]
Telephone: (852) 2707 3111
Fax: (852) 2707 3222
Address: 1/F, Billionnaire Royale, 83 Sa Po Road, Kowloon City, Hong Kong
[Sung Wong Toi MTR Station Exit B3]